Saturday, April 2, 2011

US Again

After spending a few months in China, I almost forgot what US is like--China is becoming more real to me. Beijing is one face of China---very modern, fast, exciting, diverse, historic, political. It is a great city, probably greater to me than any US cities. Then there is the other faces of China, Fujian, Guangdong, Gulangyu, mountain areas....these are very local, very indigenous in many senses, but full of flavors. Just not these cookie cutter moles.

US. I couldn't imagine what it is to be in US when I spent a long time in China. It kind of becomes a impression in TV and films. I don't even remember what it is like to speak English to everyone; the way Americans behave and say things; the way waiters take your order; the taste of Panera's panini sandwich...but I know it is exciting and scary at the same time. It doesn't have great Chinese food whenever I want. But the spirit of Americans, their manners, I couldn't resist.

Anyways,now that I'm here again, everything seems so real again. Sitting in a coffee shop and surfing the a-lot-faster-than-CHINA internet, it feels almost like I have never left--although I'm in a different city now. I have mixed feeling toward the US. In this bad economy, perhaps it is not very easy to turn the bad things good. Hard.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger