Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sleeping, Waking, and Biological Clock

HOW PRECISE?

If you think that our body acts in some kind of randomness, think again. I have recently experienced the power of biological clock. I flew to the US and China within 10 days, and that's what happened: I wake up every morning between 6:30 to 7am. Never once I wake up after 7am, even when I went to bed at 1am. Amazing ah?The brain does all the work, accustomed to the light and dark pattern of the day.

Next Day
I went to bed a little late (I think I fell asleep around 11pm instead of 10) and I got up around 5am to go to the bathroom and brushed my teeth. Alas! The clock is tilted. I then work up at 8:30 instead of 7. But, it turns out that I felt more tired--would felt better if waking up at 7am. It has to do with the quality of sleep.

Sleep:More is Less?
Sometimes I do feel that in the morning sleeping 1 or 2 hours more could only make you more tired instead of regaining your energy. This implies that timing, or the time period is extremely important in sleeping, which is what traditional Chinese doctors are always saying. But I always feel that my best sleep time comes in the afternoon when I take a nap. But Chinese medicine tells us sleeping before and around midnight (and possibly around noon) is a golden treasure when your body is repairing your internal organs.So if you can still fall asleep early in the night, you should definitely do it.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger