Monday, May 11, 2009

10 MOST INTRIGUING MUSICOLOGICAL RESEARCH QUESTIONS:10

10:Music and Healing

Every time after playing in concerts, I feel empowered and refreshed, my physical health improved. Why is that? It turns out that after a long time, the question is not as simple as 'music can heal' any more, as certain complications that came along. For instance, in what situation music can improve my health? If someone cannot play music but likes to listen to it, are they likely to benefit from it? Being a musician I feel that listening (passive experiences comparing to making music) is much less effective than playing (active creative expression). On the other hand, I came to realize more and more that music may not be directly affecting the physical status--it is very much through the psychological and social level of communication. If I play music by myself, I may not feel the healing power; if I play with other musicians, I can feel better but still restrained power; only when I play for many many people that I feel the great power of pleasing myself and thus healing. It resembles the pleasure I had after I attend a pleasant social event where I can communicate happily with friends. So, after all, how does this work?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger